U16 (Ages 14 and 15)
U16 is designed to inspire and challenge racers to perform at the next level. This program will focus on fundamental skill development, racing technique and speed acquisition. Athletes will be constantly challenged, and motivated to give their one hundred percent effort every day. Athletes will learn age appropriate slalom, giant slalom and speed technical skills to develop their racing and skiing proficiency.
The skills from previous levels are expanded and adapted in training situations that offer the athlete both fun and challenge. Coaches will bring the focus towards developing not just the skiing and race skills but will begin to make the athlete aware of their potential in fitness and mental aspects affecting their peak performance. Our program is flexible and can accommodate athletes across various levels of commitment to the sport. In addition, to our core 8 week racing module, racers can choose to participate in a variety of optional enhanced training programs and races throughout the season.
For more information regarding the U16 Alpine Ontario Program Expectations please visit the AOA website.
BASE PROGRAM DETAILS:
- Christmas camp training
- Sunday all-day training
- Wednesday night training
- Regional invitational racing series
- Club championships
- Optional extra regional travel races available
- Optional extra training days available
TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES:
- 6 Day Xmas Camp – 8:30-2:30pm – (45 min. lunch break)
- 8 Evening Training – Wednesday – 6:30-9:30pm
- 8 Weekend Training – Sunday – 8:30-2:30pm (45 min. lunch break)
SKILL EVENTS INCLUDED IN PROGRAM:
- 5 Races Including a Final with Team Scoring Component
PROGRAM FEES REQUIRED:
- Club membership fee
- Club program fee
- AOA fee(s)
- Glen Eden Seasons Pass
- Refundable Volunteer Deposit
OPTIONAL EXTRA TRAINING AND EVENTS:
- MHRC FRIDAY TRAINING SERIES – Friday training is available depending the week at Glen Eden or Mount St Louis Moonstone
- U16 INVITATIONAL RACE EVENTS – Organized throughout Southern Ontario
- MHRC PRE-SEASON CAMP – Beginning of December MHRC organizes a pre-season training
- O-Cup Finals – qualification required through SOD cup series
Alpine Ontario Alpin requires that all U14 athletes aspiring to participate in the Provincial championships, must have a fitness testing result prior to Dec 31 of the competition season as part of their qualification process. Not having this result eliminates athletes not only from the Provincial championships but also opportunities to qualify for: any CanAm, Canada Winter Games, Whistler Cup or other National/international event qualified through the Provincials. MHRC will run a physical testing for it’s athletes.
For information on equipment requirements per age group see the equipment page
MHRC is a volunteer-driven not-for-profit organization. We rely on the participation of parents to run the events and races and our clubhouse. Volunteering at races is necessary to ensure a safe and successful event for the athletes. No experience is necessary and you don’t even need to ski. We will provide training during the season and mentorship for all those eager to learn.
For parents who are new to the team, volunteering is a great way to get involved in your child’s development in ski racing and to get to know other parents. Without volunteers we would not be able to run our club or host events.