U14 (Ages 12 and 13)
U14 is focused on mastering fundamental skiing skills, while introducing them to more specific ski racing techniques. The program is designed to inspire and challenge these young athletes, and motivate them to get the most out of their training in a safe and fun environment. Athletes will also introduce tactics, multiple disciplines, race day preparation and process, and sport psychology skills. Children learn age appropriate slalom, giant slalom and speed technical skills to develop their racing and skiing proficiency.
The skills from previous levels are expanded and adapted in training situations that offer the athlete both fun and challenge. Coaches will bring the focus towards developing not just the skiing and race skills but will begin to make the athlete aware of their potential in fitness and mental aspects affecting their peak performance. Our program is flexible and can accommodate athletes across various levels of commitment to the sport. In addition, to our core 8 week racing module, racers can choose to participate in a variety of optional enhanced training programs and races throughout the season.
For more information regarding the U14 Alpine Ontario Program Expectations please visit the AOA website.
BASE PROGRAM DETAILS:
- Christmas camp training
- Sunday all-day training
- Thursday night training
- Regional invitational racing series
- Optional extra regional travel races available
- Optional extra training days available
TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES:
- 6 Day Xmas Camp – 8:30-2:30pm – (45 min. lunch break)
- 8 Evening Training – Thursday – 6:30-9:00pm
- 8 Weekend Training – Sunday – 8:30-2:30pm (45 min. lunch break)
SKILL EVENTS INCLUDED IN PROGRAM:
- 4 Races and a Final with Team Scoring Component
- 1 Day Training Saturdays at Mount St Louis Moonstone
PROGRAM FEES REQUIRED:
- Club membership fee
- Club program fee
- AOA fee(s)
- Glen Eden Seasons Pass
- Refundable Volunteer Deposit
OPTIONAL EXTRA TRAINING AND EVENTS:
- MHRC FRIDAY TRAINING SERIES – Friday training is available depending the week at Glen Eden or Mount St Louis Moonstone
- U14 INVITATIONAL RACE EVENTS – Organized throughout Southern Ontario
- MHRC PRE-SEASON CAMP – Beginning of December MHRC organizes a pre-season training
- AOA SKILLS CAMPS – Each winter Alpine Ontario hosts a series of ski camps for racers from U8/10 and up to ensure they are getting off to a good seasons. Click here for more information
For information on equipment requirements per age group see the equipment page
MHRC is a volunteer-driven not-for-profit organization. We rely on the participation of parents to run the events and races and our clubhouse. Volunteering at races is necessary to ensure a safe and successful event for the athletes. No experience is necessary and you don’t even need to ski. We will provide training during the season and mentorship for all those eager to learn.
For parents who are new to the team, volunteering is a great way to get involved in your child’s development in ski racing and to get to know other parents. Without volunteers we would not be able to run our club or host events.