U12 (Ages 10 and 11)
U12 is for kids that like to rip it up all winter long! The U12 program offers an excellent opportunity for young athletes to improve their skiing skills with an increased focus on race technique and individual racing. The program is designed to inspire and challenge these racers, and motivate them to get the most out of themselves in a safe and fun environment. The programs objectives include developing technical skills (stance and balance, steering, pivoting, edging, rhythm), introducing tactical skills (turn shape, line in course) and developing racing skills. Athletes’ train and race in a variety of alpine disciplines including: giant slalom (GS), slalom (SL), paneled slalom (PS), stubbie slalom (stubbie) and kombi (KOM).
Our program is flexible and can accommodate athletes across various levels of commitment to the sport. In addition, to our core 8 week racing module, racers can choose to participate in a variety of optional enhanced training programs and races throughout the season.
For more information regarding the U12 Alpine Ontario Program Expectations please visit the AOA website.
BASE PROGRAM DETAILS:
- Christmas camp training
- Saturday all-day training
- Thursday night training
- Regional invitational racing series
- Optional extra regional travel races available
- Optional extra training days available
TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES:
- 6 Day Xmas Camp – 8:30-2:30pm – (45 min. lunch break)
- 8 Evening Training – Thursday – 6:30-9:00pm
- 8 Weekend Training – Saturday – 8:30-2:30pm (45 min. lunch break)
SKILL EVENTS INCLUDED IN PROGRAM:
- 4 Events
- 1 Day Training Saturdays at Mount St Louis Moonstone
PROGRAM FEES REQUIRED:
- Club membership fee
- Club program fee
- AOA fee(s)
- Glen Eden Seasons Pass
- Refundable Volunteer Deposit
OPTIONAL EXTRA TRAINING AND EVENTS
- MHRC FRIDAY TRAINING SERIES – Friday training is available depending the week at Glen Eden or Mount St Louis Moonstone
- MHRC PRE-SEASON CAMP – Dec 16-18 Mt Tremblant
- AOA SKILLS CAMPS – Each winter Alpine Ontario hosts a series of ski camps for racers from U8/10 and up to ensure they are getting off to a good seasons. Click here for more information
- O-Cup Rodeo Event @ Hidden Valley March 18-19 2016
For information on equipment requirements per age group see the equipment page
MHRC is a volunteer-driven not-for-profit organization. We rely on the participation of parents to run the events and races and our clubhouse. Volunteering at races is necessary to ensure a safe and successful event for the athletes. No experience is necessary and you don’t even need to ski. We will provide training during the season and mentorship for all those eager to learn.
For parents who are new to the team, volunteering is a great way to get involved in your child’s development in ski racing and to get to know other parents. Without volunteers we would not be able to run our club or host events.