A Message from your Board:
We hope this finds all our members healthy and safe. Fall colours are here, which has us dreaming of all the white to follow! Let’s all keep our fingers crossed for something much closer to a normal season. There is a lot of information here, please read the whole update.
Thank you to all our members and the entire Milton Heights community for your support through this trying year. We are pleased to say that a number of our programs are already at capacity for the coming season. If you haven’t registered yet, you can use this link to register. Have questions? Check these FAQs.
We are excited to share updates on the following:
- We’re turning 50! That’s right, the little club that is pound for pound one of Ontario’s finest for producing alpine athletes is 50 years young. Watch for more ways to make things fun as this season unfolds.
- The Ski Swap is back! And we have an exciting new venue. Get ready for great deals October 14-17 at the Milton Fairgrounds. Given capacity limits that we will have to adhere to, we are planning an online booking tool to reserve timeslots – stay tuned for more details. Please check here for more information.
- Dryland Training – Time to wake up our skiing muscles. Registered athletes on Competitive Teams will be able to participate in Dryland training starting on October 3. Additional details will be distributed soon. Reminder – AOA registration is also required for insurance purposes.
- Pre-season training camp – After the disappointment of cancelling our annual Tremblant Preseason Camp last season we are happy to announce the details of our 2021 Tremblant Trip. There are two options available: 3 on-hill training days, Dec. 17-19 – OR – 5 on-hill training days: Dec. 15-19. We have reserved a selection of accommodations for you to choose from. All accommodations are within the Tremblant Pedestrian Village. Please check here for more information on the camp, accommodation, lift tickets and meal vouchers – plus the link to register! For any questions please email: email@example.com
- Christmas training camp – our plan is to offer something as close as possible to our ‘usual’ camp – with training days both at Glen Eden and Mount St. Louis-Moonstone. Tentative dates are December 27-31.
- Apprentice Coaches – the club participates in Glen Eden Snow School’s apprenticeship program for instructors and coaches. Glen Eden is working out details for this year’s program. Athletes 13 or older who are interested can apply on Glen Eden’s website (the “employment” link should open within a week). Email head coach Brian Opitz at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Delivering a safe and fun environment for our athletes and member families remains our top priority. We are sure that many are wondering how the upcoming introduction of Ontario’s vaccine certificates will affect us. Provincial guidance on COVID-19 protocols continues to evolve. The club’s position is that vaccines are a safe and effective means to combat this pandemic and we encourage all eligible people to be fully vaccinated.
To ensure the safety of all involved, our current thinking is to require evidence of vaccination for all participants 12 and over in order to enter the clubhouse. In the absence of a vaccine certificate, evidence of a negative test for COVID-19 that is less than 48 hours old would also be acceptable. This is consistent with current provincial health guidance. Vaccine certificates are not required for outdoor activities. Similarly, they are not required for kids under 12 who are not eligible for vaccination. Those accompanying unvaccinated children will need to provide their vaccine certificate (or negative test) to enter the clubhouse.
Our regular cancellation and refund policy will apply in the event that athletes are not able to participate due to COVID-19.
Based on what we know right now, members should expect differences along the following lines:
- Indoor spaces (including our Clubhouse) – capacity constraints and physical distancing will remain a reality this season and we will have to adapt our use of indoor spaces. We will provide more information as the season gets closer.
- Canteen – we expect the canteen to operate during all program hours and hope to be able to offer hot food service this season.
- Scheduling – in recognition of clubhouse capacity constraints, start, end and break times will be staggered.
- Races – All fingers and toes are crossed for a close to normal race season. Race schedules aren’t typically available from Alpine Ontario until December in a normal year and might be later this year. We expect that races will involve lower numbers of participants, given the continued cap of 100 participants on outdoor events. As with last year, it is possible some races could be held mid-week when hills are less busy.
- Covid Safety Protocols, Cleaning and Sanitizing – We will be adhering to public health guidance regarding cleaning the clubhouse and other common areas.
- Volunteering – We need our members as much as ever! Whether for the ski swap or regular season operations, watch for email links to Signup Genius to book your times to help – it’s both fun and helps us deliver a great experience for our kids.
All this information is subject to change and will follow guidance from public health authorities, Glen Eden and Alpine Ontario. We ask for your continued patience while we plan.
For those who ordered new club jackets for this year, we expect delivery in late November or early December. We will provide more information on timing and pickup details as soon as we are able to.
Glen Eden continues to support our club and refine its operational plan for the coming season. Season passes are now available for sale on Glen Eden’s website. Our understanding is that Glen Eden will continue with the online reservation system implemented last year, with enhancements planned for program participants. As with last season, there will be a greater emphasis on outdoor rest areas and food service, indoor capacity limits, as well as the standard physical distancing efforts we have become accustomed to. All Glen Eden passholders (which should be all of us) will receive updates directly from Glen Eden as well, so be sure to watch for an email direct from them.
Don’t forget to follow Milton Heights and Glen Eden on Instagram and Facebook!
Our communications tend to ramp up at this time of year and we will be back in touch with more updates as they are available. Feel free to contact us if you have questions.
In the meantime, thank you for your support and patience. Pray for snow!
Your MHRC Board of Directors