U12 is for kids that like to rip it up all winter long! The U12 program offers an excellent opportunity for young athletes to improve their skiing skills with an increased focus on race technique and individual racing. The program is designed to inspire and challenge these racers, and motivate them to get the most out of themselves in a safe and fun environment. The programs objectives include developing technical skills (stance and balance, steering, pivoting, edging, rhythm), introducing tactical skills (turn shape, line in course) and developing racing skills. Athletes’ train and race in a variety of alpine disciplines including: giant slalom (GS), slalom (SL), paneled slalom (PS), stubbie slalom (stubbie) and kombi (KOM).
Our program is flexible and can accommodate athletes across various levels of commitment to the sport. In addition, to our core 8 week racing module, racers can choose to participate in a variety of optional enhanced training programs and races throughout the season.
For more information regarding the U12 Alpine Ontario Program Expectations please visit the AOA website.
BASE PROGRAM DETAILS:
- Christmas camp training
- Saturday all-day training
- Thursday night training
- Regional invitational racing series
- Optional extra regional travel races available
- Optional extra training days available
TRAINING DAYS AND TIMES:
- Day Xmas Camp – 8:30-2:30pm – (45 min. lunch break)
- Evening Training – Thursday – 6:30-9:00pm
- Weekend Training – Saturday – 8:30-2:30pm (45 min. lunch break)
SKILL EVENTS INCLUDED IN PROGRAM:
- 4 Events
PROGRAM FEES REQUIRED:
- Program fee – the cost of the program for your child/children – See program fee schedule – Book early to take advantage of the Early Bird pricing!
- MHRC Family Membership Fee – the cost of membership to our club – includes all family members and guests. It supports the cost of running our clubhouse. – See program fee schedule – NOTE – this is paid one time per family, regardless of how many racers you have registered.
- Alpine Ontario Membership – AOA membership covers each athlete’s insurance and supports the sport in Ontario. You will need to register with AOA, if not already, and set up your racers and pay membership – see AOA site. NOTE we are Southern Ontario Division – SOD.
- Volunteer Deposit – this will NOT be processed if all volunteer requirements are met. See volunteer details page.
- Lift Passes/Tickets – Athletes can get a season’s pass at Glen Eden, others can purchase a set of day passes based on their training schedule. Glen Eden offers MHRC members discounted offers for program participants. All passes/lift tickets MUST be purchased through Glen Eden. See Glen Eden site.
OPTIONAL EXTRA TRAINING AND EVENTS
- MHRC FRIDAY TRAINING SERIES – Friday training is available depending the week at Glen Eden or Mount St Louis Moonstone
- MHRC PRE-SEASON CAMP – Dec 16-18 Mt Tremblant
- AOA SKILLS CAMPS – Each winter Alpine Ontario hosts a series of ski camps for racers from U8/10 and up to enhance existing club training for more information. Click Here
- O-Cup Rodeo Event @ Hidden Valley March TBD
For information on equipment requirements per age group see the equipment page
MHRC is a volunteer-driven not-for-profit organization. We rely on the participation of parents to run the events and races and our clubhouse. Volunteering at races is necessary to ensure a safe and successful event for the athletes. No experience is necessary and you don’t even need to ski. We will provide training during the season and mentorship for all those eager to learn.
For parents who are new to the team, volunteering is a great way to get involved in your child’s development in ski racing and to get to know other parents. Without volunteers, we would not be able to run our club or host events.
A list of volunteer opportunities can be found under the volunteer tab on the blog or website.